Major sponsor PGA and DP World Tours have urged peace talks with LIV Golf

Major sponsor PGA and DP World Tours have urged peace talks with LIV Golf


Multi-billion dollar Swiss luxury goods manufacturer Richmont has become the first major golf sponsor to ask the PGA and DP World Tours platform to talk to Saudi-funded LIV Golf. Professional male game Civil War.

As chairman of the Sunshine Tour – which takes place at St Andrews, Kingsbarns and Carnoustie this week – and chairman of the Alfred Dunhill Links – Johan Rupert is an influential figure who has contributed more than $100 million to the sport in his nearly 40 years. Year Association.

And Rupert’s media team’s comments to Telegraph Sports highlight the concern felt by South Africa’s richest man – which is undeniably echoed in other parts of golf – at the worst-ever fallout from the split.

“This is the home of golf and we’re all here to celebrate golf,” said a tournament spokesman from the old course. Conflicts that threaten the future of the game we all love must stop. People need to talk to find a solution.

Since Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth fund last year confirmed plans to set up a $2 billion war chest circuit, the prospect of a deal is more remote than ever. PGA Tour Commissioner Jay Monaghan has refused to enter into permanent negotiations, with Greg Norman, CEO of LIV recently announcing that he is no longer “interested”.

Meanwhile, DP World Tour chief executive Keith Pelley is adamant that he will only deal with LIV if he is prepared to act as a sponsor “within the ecosystem of the sport” and has no specific concerns. Monaghan has taken a strong stance by issuing indefinite bans to LIV golfers and deeming them ineligible to play in last week’s Presidents Cup, even those on the international side, a fact believed to have rubbed off on Rupert.

Pelli will have to wait until a hearing in February to issue a sanction, and in the meantime, LIV golfers are free to play on European circuits.

There are 10 LIV-contracted players at the $5 million event – which will see pros such as Rory McIlroy and Matt Fitzpatrick share the show with celebrities including Joe Root and Ronan Keating – and the sponsors seem determined to make the Rebels more welcoming than they did at Wentworth earlier this month.

The likes of Lee Westwood, Ian Poulter and Sergio Garcia at the BMW PGA Championship were not invited to play in Wednesday’s pro-am and did not appear in promotional material. In contrast, Dunhill’s press releases named Louis Oosthuizen and Brandon Grace as attractions on the field. Additionally, Patrick Reed and Peter Uhlein have accepted sponsorship invitations, although the former will be out on Monday.

Insiders believe Rupert is making a point with these invitations. At Wentworth, Pelley said there was “strong resistance” when the Rebels took positions from their coaches, but as they were free, Tourism could not take any action. However, it has been made clear that LIV golfers will not be placed at any “competitive disadvantage”, no matter how great their profile, they will not be given preferential treatment.

One Tour player told Telegraph Sport: “You can’t get more ‘picky’ than an invitational. “Ideally, sponsors put up the money and can invite anyone. But a court case is looming and even though they can play freely until this is fixed, there is a feeling among players loyal to the tour that LIV players should not get special invitations.

contributor

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *