Star guard Jewell Lloyd became the highest-paid player in the WNBA earlier this year when she re-signed with the Seattle Storm to a two-year, $463,030 contract, according to the Associated Press. The four-time WNBA All-Star and former No. 1 pick out of Notre Dame is in her seventh season in the league. She helped lead the Storm to WNBA championships in 2018 and 2020.
The second-highest paid player in the league is on the same Seattle roster, according to Spotrac.com. All-star forward Breanna Stewart signs one-year, $228,094 extension with Hurricanes After testing free agency, USA TODAY’s For The Win reported.
Many of the players on the list also play in overseas leagues where the pay may be better.
Phoenix Mercury center Brittany Griner, who has been “wrongfully detained” in Russia since February, was arrested at an airport near Moscow while playing in the country’s women’s basketball league.
Griner pleaded guilty:A Russian lawyer says that a plea of guilty can be a strategy for a lenient sentence
What is life like in a Russian prison for Griner?Writing letters, reading Dostoevsky
Comment:Brittney Griner is on the big stage at the WNBA All-Star Game, even from half a world away.
2K cover;Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi on the cover of NBA 2K23 WNBA Edition
Who are the highest paid WNBA players?
Here is Spotrac.com List of Top 10 Highest Paid WNBA Players by Average Annual Value.
1. Jewell Lloyd, G, Seattle Storm; 231,515 dollars
2. Breanna Stewart, F, Seattle Storm; 228,094 dollars
3. Elena Delle Donne, F, Washington Mystics; 224,870 dollars
T-3. DeWanna Bonner, F, Connecticut Sun; 224,870 dollars
T-3. Skylar Diggins-Smith, G, Phoenix Mercury; 224,870 dollars
6. Diana Taurasi, G, Phoenix Mercury; 224,772 dollars
7. Natasha Howard, F, New York Liberty; 224,675 dollars
8. Brittany Greener, C, Phoenix Mercury; 221,515 dollars
9. Tiffany Hayes, G, Atlanta Dream; 215,000 dollars
10. Alyssa Thomas, F, Connecticut Sun; 209,000 dollars
Who is the NBA’s highest paid player?Steph Curry, LeBron James lead the top earners.